Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cisco networking academy certificate: What can I do?

Hi, I was thinking of getting an associate degree in Information systems, Networking. But, in the meantime I see my school also has a cisco networking certificate you can get - all of the classes/credits for this certificate will transfer into the IT degree if and when you decide to get it.





So , I was wondering - what could I do with the Cisco certificate? What are the job options, and what is the salary? Thanks for any info.

Cisco networking academy certificate: What can I do?
While a Cisco Certification, in my opinion, looks great on a resume, the extra salary you can pull in depends on a number of things; The part of the country or metro you're in, the position you're in, etc.





Also, having the certification is one thing; Actually being able and having experience using Cisco routers is another. Companies can vary on how they hire, so someone who doesn't know jack about networking may praise the certificate. However, if the hiring person lives and breathes networking on a daily basis, having a certificate may be great, but they want you to prove you know how to do the work (experience).





Regardless, having certifications should make you a more valuable asset to any employer, so I would not discourage you from pursuing any kind of IT certification.





I would definitely pursue a degree, regardless of the certificate. Who knows, you may end up with an employer that pays for future certificates like the A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE, etc.





Best of luck to you!
Reply:From what I have seen where Cisco is going with their Network Academy the first 2 semesters that you will be receiving in High School will prepare you for their new


Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician certification. So I would learn as much as I can in class and pursue that certification that will open some opportunities in a entry level job ex: help desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment