Sunday, August 22, 2010

Networking with WindowsXP pro and Linux Ubuntu.?

I just installed Linux Ubuntu on a desktop computer. I also have 3 wireless laptops( one of which is full of my music, and all run WinXP Pro) I was wondering whether or not there are some advantages of running both linux and WinXP pro when it comes to home networking. Couple questions i have is whether or not i can use roaming profiles? Is it possible for me to use the linux box as a server for all of my music and files? If these things are possible please explain how i can set them up. And if there are other things i can do i would also like to hear about them too.

Networking with WindowsXP pro and Linux Ubuntu.?
Yes - It's called SAMBA


SAMBA is a program that allows a Linux machine to act as a server to Windows machines. As far as the Windows machines are concerned, the are talking to a windows files server and depending how you set up permissions and accounts, you can set up just about any combination of private, shared, or read only folders you want.


SAMBA also allows you to set up your Linux machine as a print server and turn printers connected to your Linux machine as network printers.


I run OpenSuse and Samba for my home network file server


No comments:

Post a Comment